Trailhead by E.O. Wilson

I recently read Trailhead, by E. O. Wilson, which I thought was pretty awesome as far as entomology is concerned. Trailhead is, basically, the rise and fall of a colony of ants. From the journey of their queen to find a suitable nesting ground to her eventual death and the demise of the colony, Trailhead follows it all. I'm usually not really big on bugs, but Wilson made the learning interesting.


Trailhead certainly made me think about humanity. Maybe he didn't mean to write about society through the use of ant-life, but I don't see what the harm in pretending he did, is. Of course, maybe that's just the frame of mind I'm in. Between the sociology minor and the books I've been reading recently, the strangeness of the human race is never far from my thoughts.

In particular, a bit from Trailhead keeps floating around the periphery of my mind: "humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies."
It's so true - but why???

Maybe the ants have it right. I have visions of a post-apocolyptic future where humans are replaced by super-intelligent ants. This quickly devolves even further with additions like the presence of the 'hive mind' and before I know it I've got a decent draft for a terrific (in the 'terrible' sense) Scifi (Or Syfy, now....) made-for-tv movie. Brilliant.

0 comments:

Post a Comment