Soldier's Joy by Antonya Nelson

I read Soldier's Joy by Antonya Nelson. I'm not entirely sure what she meant by naming the story 'Soldier's Joy'. There's really nothing joyful about it, much less soldierly...


I'm actually intrigued by it just because I'm so confused. The story itself is about a woman who has married her Grad school professor some time ago. He is a charming and generally well-liked man for all that he is her parents age and seems more likely to cheat on her than love her.

As it turns out, not (spoiler alert) he actually is cheating on her with his wife's best friend.
I like the story because somehow Nelson fleshes out the characters really well without making it look hard. She always shows, never tells. Most amazingly, she has this really great way of showing the differences between her character, Nana's childhood world, and the world she grew to inhabit. It's wonderful and masterful, and even if I don't yet get the entirety of the meaning of this particular story, I still have to appreciate what a crazy-awesome writer Antonya Nelson is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment